Friday 13 May 2011

OCup no. 1 Mansfield

So I made sure I was uber prepared for my first OCup race in Mansfield. I pre-rode the course, however, my early morning swim coupled with my weights session that day meant that the legs didn't have much in them. But after negotiating the starting hill I figured out what I was able to realistically ride and what I wasn't. All in all, I figured I could ride most of it although there might be blockages along the way and places where I would be quicker running than struggling through.

I made sure I had all my bits and bobs in order the night before. Tire irons - check, pump - check, camel back - check and of course, the new Wild Bettys duds.



We arrived at Mansfield in plenty of time for the 10 am start time. I had time to warm up and do any last adjustments.

The race was awesome. I found myself really pushing to go faster even when I was wrecked. I kept saying to myself 'Keep pedalling or you'll regret it if you're behind by a few minutes'. I knew I was pretty fit but my skills need some work so I tried to make the most of the double-track and fast flowy trails.

I had a couple of spills on my first round which were silly but flew through those sections the second time round. I always console myself with the thought that if I'm not falling, I'm not pushing hard enough. I think I just say that to myself to feel better! Anyway, my laps were pretty consistent. 31 mins apiece which surprised me seeing as I felt that I went faster second time round and didn't have the falls that I had had in the first round.

I kept racing to the end because you never know who might be in your category so tried to pass as many people as possible in the last kilometer loop to the finish-line.



I surprised myself by finishing fourth in my category and hopefully can replicate that placing in the next OCup at Woodnewton.

Racing is a very enjoyable experience. Although you  might be a bit nervous and need several pee stops before the off, it's super fun. People are very friendly on the course. You get a chance to meet other riders from all over and to watch excellent riders in the field and see how they handle various technical bits on the course.

But for me, the funnest part was going mad fasht down the hills! I had to let a little 'hup' out of me on the way down.

Roll on Woodnewton ...

No comments:

Post a Comment