Friday 10 June 2011

O Cup 3 Hardwood Hills

This was by far my hardest OCup race yet and a few different factors were responsible for this.






I pre-rode Hardwood on the Thursday before the race. It was the most technical course so far but rideable if you keep your head and confidence. I didn't have any trouble with the drops, rock obstacles or small rock gardens and was feeling ok about the race.





BUT I'd been sick the week before. I had a wretched sore throat and cough which just seemed to linger. I thought I was fine though and continued as normal. Mistake no. 1

There were a lot of people there at race day and it seemed a little difficult to go for a warm-up anywhere ... there wasn't much room. So I didn't warm-up. Mistake no. 2.



I started off well and was riding with the top group but knew that I couldn't keep this up. I gradually started to feel worse and worse. My heart rate exploded and I felt that I wouldn't be able to get it down and keep it steady. This was largely due to the fact that I hadn't warmed up. Had I done so, my body wouldn't have been as shocked as it was by the sudden activity.

It was a hot day - well into the 20s and I couldn't seem to get enough water. I also couldn't seem to get enough air. My chest was rattling from being sick that week and I felt weak.



I really didn't feel like I could do another lap and was spent. I had a gel at the half-way point and waited eagerly for the sugars to kick in. They never did. I never felt good and in form at any stage during the race. This race was slightly longer than the others and slightly more technical meaning ... longer laps. 1 gel is not enough for a 1 hr 20 min race. I underestimated the nutrition I would need. I also didn't eat as well as I could have in the run up to the race. Poor nutrition coupled with an already weakened body didn't do me any favours.

My pasty pale Irish self isn't used to being in the sun for prolonged periods of time. I think I became very dehydrated during and after the race as I felt quite sick on the way home. Headaches and general weakness was the result of being in the sun all day. I did drink a lot of water but I guess I needed to stay out of the sun (in the shade of the Wild Bettys tent) and drink more!



Needless to say, I've learned the lessons of Hardwood. I'm eating correctly this week. I'm also resting more. Even though I'm feeling better, I'm doing less cross-training etc. I'm going to ride with a camelback of water and some Heed or ELoad or something in a bottle on the bike as I like to have my water but think I might need something in addition to the gel. At least I'll have that option if I need it. I will also bring a wind-trainer to warm-up thoroughly before racing.

Yesterday I pre-rode Albion Hills! The weather looked a bit sketchy but stayed dry and fine. We were pumping up my tires beforehand and the valve stem from my Stan's Notube tires broke. There were some hairy moments where I thought we'd have to turn around and go back to TO. I was not a happy camper.

We had some trouble getting the valve out as the phlange was proving tricky to get through the hole. Eventually another rider came to our rescue with a plyers and we were able to get the valve out. Lucky enough we had another tube and we were able to ride. This little problem cost us an hour!

The trails were brilliant. It's a super fast course which is not technical at all. There are some steep short climbs which take the wind out of you but all in all, it is an easy course. It is a lot of fun because you can really gun it without worrying about technical areas.

I did my best to ride as hard as I could. I rode two laps and did them in about 30 mins. This course is also a little longer so it's just over 8km per loop.

Nutrition-wise, I'm loading up on proteins and complex carbs to make sure I am rearing to go on Sunday. It's difficult having two races within a week of each other but I think I'm on form for this one. A little TLC, I've learned, goes a long way.

Roll on Albion Hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment